Elementary school years set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skill necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Through a comprehensive developmental, data driven school counseling program, school counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, school counselors can help all children achieve academic success. The McKinley Counseling Program strives to implement a school counseling program based on the American School Counselor Association’s National Model. schoolcounselor.org
MCKINLEY COUNSELING PROGRAM BELIEFS, MISSION, AND VISION STATEMENTS
The professional school counselors at McKinley Elementary School believe:
- All students have dignity and worth
- All students have the right to participate in the school counseling program
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual differences and special needs are considered in planning and implementing the school counseling program
- All students K-12 shall have access to a full-time, state-certified, master’s degree level school counselor to deliver the counseling program
And that the McKinley Elementary School comprehensive counseling program should:
- Be based on specified goals and developmental student competencies aligned with county, state and national standards for all students in kindergarten through grade 5.
- Be planned and coordinated by school counselor(s) in collaboration with other stakeholders (school staff, parent or guardian and community representatives)
- Utilize the many combined resources of the community to deliver programs
- Implements the APS whole child framework, ensuring that each child is, “Healthy, safe, supported, engaged, and academically challenged.”
- Collaborate with stakeholders to monitor students’ results
- Use data to drive program development and evaluation
And that the McKinley Elementary School counselor will:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association
- Participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program
The school counseling program at McKinley Elementary school delivers intentional, evidence-based, data driven activities that remove barriers to student success. Promoting equity and access for each student, we strive to provide a challenging and nurturing learning environment that promotes positive career, academic, and social/emotional development.
The vision of the McKinley Elementary School comprehensive school counseling program is that all students will be active lifelong learners who are compassionate individuals who contribute positively to their families and communities. They are strong self-advocates who have the resiliency needed to reach their fullest potential. Each student will achieve personal success and model courtesy, kindness and cooperative behavior as global citizens.