Welcome to the McKinley Library
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Phone Number: 703-228-8255
McKinley’s Library’s Mission:
To create a warm and welcoming environment where students are empowered to become lifelong learners, lovers of reading, and effective users of ideas and information.
All students may check out books, magazines, and audio books. We encourage all students to choose a variety of books, including at least one fiction book.
- Students in PreK may borrow one book at a time.
- Students in K-1st grade may borrow up to two books at a time.
- Students in grades 2-5 may borrow up to three books at a time.
- Items are checked out for two weeks at a time and can be renewed for an additional two weeks. Students must bring their book to the library to renew the book. Students who finish their books before their scheduled library time are encouraged to come to the library during our open book exchange every morning from 8:50-9:15.
- When a book is overdue, the student’s account is blocked by the computer, preventing new material from being borrowed. When this happens, we send a “love note” home with the child to request a grown-up’s help with locating the book. During the time before the overdue book is returned to school, students are encouraged to borrow a book from “The Purple Box.” This is a box of very good paperback books that have been donated to us. Students may also put one book on the “Save” shelf until their overdue books are returned.
- Lost books must be paid for in order to clear student records. Students will be asked to send money for lost and damaged items depending on the repair or replacement cost. Cash or checks made out to “McKinley Elementary School” are accepted for payment. If a book is found before the end of the school year, your money will be refunded.
- With close to 1,500 books circulating weekly, we work hard to keep the shelves up to date and books flowing smoothly. As always, we appreciate all that parents and loved ones of our students do to assure their success each day.